Thursday, October 28, 2010

Liquid Fire Habanero Hot Sauce

In a previous post, I stated how excited I was that I finally got some habaneros from my plant at home. But there is something I didn't realize about these plants and that is they produce A LOT of peppers at one time. So with 30 peppers in my fridge, the obvious question came about....What the hell do I do with 30 habanero peppers? I don't even care for spice food that much. But fortunately I have friends who do, so I decided to make some hot sauce.


12 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
1 (15.5 ounce) can sliced peaches in heavy syrup
1/2 c dark molasses
1/4 c. yellow mustard (the original recipe calls for 1/2 cup but after reading the reviews of how strong the mustard taste was, I cut it down)
1 cup distilled white vinegar
2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp black pepper
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground allspice

1. Removed seeds from the habaneros and chop.
2. Mix everything in a blender or food processor.
3. Pour into containers and let it set for about 8 hours in the fridge.



This stuff kind of reminds me of the "Wake Up Juice" in Back to the Future 3 used to wake up Doc after he passed out in a bar after one shot of whiskey. Anyways...the recipe is quick and easy. A few tips...use gloves when cutting the peppers to avoid spice burn. And wash your hands thoroughly! I washed my hands after and but apparently still had some juice on my hands. I then rubbed my eye which was a mistake! My eye burned for 30 minutes!


Original Recipe
. Thanks Bob!

2 comments:

  1. How did the hot sauce go over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently the sauce is quite good. Its sweet and they said the spice wasn't that bad, probably because there is an insane amount of sugar. So I think the next batch I will use peaches in light syrup instead and maybe cut the brown sugar down just a touch. Some people said the cumin was a bit on the strong side, so I would cut that down a little too.

    ReplyDelete