For this weeks tailgating, I wanted to do something Halloween inspired. I came across this cute little recipe for peanut butter balls dipped in white chocolate and decorated with chocolate chips and icing to look like eyeballs.
This recipe is straight forward with simple ingredients, however when it came to melting the white chocolate, is where I suggest doing a different method than the recipe. It asks to melt the chocolate in 30 seconds intervals in the microwave, stirring each time. Doing this for 3 minutes, the chocolate never fully melted, and it was only on the side of the bowl where the chocolate was soft enough to dip the peanut butter balls. On top of this you have to keep microwaving as you go, which honestly gets annoying the third or forth time. This recipe also calls for dying the white chocolate with food coloring to use to decorate the peanut butter balls. This would be very difficult consider how hard the chocolate was to work with. I used gel icing instead.
Considering this technical difficultly, this is a quite yummy recipe. It tastes just like a Reese peanut butter cup. My only suggestion is to instead melt the chocolate over the stove instead. Just be careful to not burn the chocolate.
1.5 c. creamy peanut butter (I bet this would be good with chunky too)
0.5 c. butter, softened
1.5 c. confectioners sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
12 ounces white chocolate
2 Tbsp. shortening
Semi sweet chocolate chips
Blue/green/red gel icing
1. Beat the peanut butter and the butter with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the vanilla and sifted sugar slowly to the peanut butter while mixing. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Roll chilled peanut butter into balls and place a baking sheet lines with wax paper or non stick foil. Chill for another 30 minutes.
3. Melt the white chocolate and shorting in the microwave in 30 second intervals , stirring after each interval, for about 2 to 3 minutes.Dip each ball into the chocolate and place on the wax baking sheet.
4. Place a semi sweet chocolate chip on the top of ball for the pupil.
5. Let chocolate set (can put back in the fridge). This takes about 5 minutes. Using the blue/green gel icing, make the iris around the chocolate chip. Use the red gel icing to make them look bloodshot.
5. Stuff face.
Original Recipe From AllRecipes.com