Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Artichokes!

I love artichokes! I have been wanting to cook some recently but to be honest I was terrified. I had this irrational fear that I no matter how long I would cook them, they would always come out underdone. But when I went to Gainesvilles local Fresh Market and saw artichokes the size of my head I decided to give it a try. I would say the most difficult part is weighing the artichokes down in the boiling water. They tend to float but after using two pan lids and a pot...Success! Tasted just like moms!

Boiled Artichoke
1 artichoke
1 stick of butter
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar

1. Cut off the thorns on the scales on the outside of the artichoke. Cut the top portion of the artichoke off to remove the smaller thorns. Cut off excess stem.

2. Cut the butter into small pieces and stuff every scale of the artichoke. (Don't be stingy. I personally used a stick and a half in the picture below. )

3. Sprinkle the artichoke with sugar.

4. Boil the artichoke in water with a little salt for roughly 30 minutes. Weigh the chokes down so they are completely submerged. To check if it is done, stick a fork in the stem just below the bud. If it soft and starts to fall apart it is time to eat.

5. Stuff face (don't forget to dip them in Ranch Dressing).



Thanks mom for the help!

No comments:

Post a Comment