Tuesday, October 4, 2011

How To...Not: Peel Garlic

When I first saw this video, my first thought was "This is awesome!!". But then my second thought was ...shenanigans!!!



How to Peel a Head of Garlic in Less Than 10 Seconds from SAVEUR.com on Vimeo.


This looks way to easy for it to actually work. Now granted peeling garlic is not that difficult, it can just be a pain when you have to peel a lot of cloves. I personally think this looks too good to be true. So I had to try it and I took it one step further. I was curious about is whether the bowls had to be metal or not, because I doubt most people have those giant metal bowls of his. So I tried it with general ceramic bowls and metal bowls.


The first step he said was to hit the garlic with the palm of your hand to break apart the cloves. Now I am not the strongest person in the world, but after a few hard whacks....


...I am left with a bruised palm and a slightly flattened garlic head. That man must be crazy strong.

SCORE - GARLIC: 1, ME: 0

After I separated the cloves with a knife, I placed everything into a ceramic bowl, covered it with another a shook it like a mad woman. I am fairly certain I woke up my neighbors and scared my cat half to death, but when I removed the top bowl, to my surprise, I saw this...


...one clove was peeled!!! ONE!!!! The rest hadn't even begun to peel. So I tried a second time shaking as hard as I could, and I was left with the same result.

SCORE - GARLIC: 2, ME: 0 

At this point, starting with a fresh garlic head, I start the process again with the metal bowls. I hit the garlic with my palm to split the cloves...and again it does not work and I am left with a even more bruised palm.

SCORE - GARLIC: 3, ME: 0

I separated the cloves again with a knife and placed everything into a metal bowl. I cover it with another metal bowl and it like a there is no tomorrow. I take off the top lid and what do I see?....


...again...only one clove was peeled!!! Are you kidding me?!?!

FINAL SCORE - GARLIC: 4, ME: 0

So in the end, I am calling this video complete and utter SHENANIGANS!!!! Not only did my hand hurt like hell afterward, I was left with a bunch of unpeeled garlic cloves and a frightened cat.

Might also enjoy:
Au Jus with No Drippings
How To: Remove an
Avocado Seed
How To: Melt Chocolate

1 comment:

  1. I think you were suppose to put the garlic with the flat end up.

    ReplyDelete