Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sweet Potato Pie from Scratch

First off, I would like to apologize in advance for this blog post. I geeked out recently over some Portal Cookie Cutters... and I am about to do it again with this post. I know you are wondering, how can I possible geek out over sweet potato pie?


Whenever I think of sweet potato pie, I can not help but think of Jose Chung's From Outer Space, one of, and in my opinion, the best and funniest episodes of The X-Files. For those not too familiar with the show, this episode is about Scully and Mulder retelling a story of an alien abduction of two teenagers to an author, Jose Chung, who is writing a book on the case. This is one of the more humorous episodes because each story is slightly different, not to mention there are awesome cameos from Jesse Ventura and Alex Trebek (I know, right?!?!) as the notorious Men in Black. Okay back to the pie. In one scene, Mulder goes to a small diner and orders several slices of sweet potato pie, and asks a different question with each slice to the cook. This is one of my favorite scenes...below is the entire episode, but the scene starts at 35:00.


::Sigh:: I miss X-Files. Anyways, for this pie, I used the cinnamon roll pie crust, but a regular pie crust will work fine as well. I also made the sweet potato puree myself.

............Okay, just one more X-files clip from this episode and then the recipe. :D


1 pie crust
1.5 c. sweet potato puree
1 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. half and half
3 large eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg white
1 tsp. water

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potato, brown sugar, heavy cream, half and half, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt until smooth.


3. Whisk together egg white and water.


4. Brush pie crust lightly with egg white/water mixture.


5. Pour sweet potato mixture carefully on top of pie crust.


6. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until filling has puffed up slightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


7. Stuff face!


This recipe was shared with:

Original Recipe

Might also enjoy:
Cinnamon Roll
Pie Crust
Sweet Potato Puree
Pumpkin Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment