Friday, January 20, 2012

Cream of Broccoli Soup

This recipe is one of my favorites. My mom has been making this for me ever since I can remember. It is thick and creamy with a great flavor. It is a straightforward recipe and only takes about an hour to make. I suggest having crescent rolls for dipping. It is delicious!


5 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
1 bunch of broccoli
1 small sweet onion
1 qt. chicken broth
0.5 c. heavy cream
salt and pepper

1. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add flour. Cook for 3 minutes, mix until smooth. Set aside until cool.

 


2. Cut the stem off and chop broccoli until 1/2 inch pieces.

 


3. Finely chop the onion.


4. In a large sauce pan, saute 3 tablespoons of butter and onions until tender.

 

 

5. Stir in broccoli and cook for 3 minutes.


6. Stir in broth and bring to a simmer.


7. Stir in flour butter mixture into broccoli mixture and mix until smooth.
8. Cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes (or until broccoli is tender).


9. Let cool slightly and transfer to blender. Puree.


10. Return to pan and mix in cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


11. Stuff face!


This recipe was shared with:

Might also enjoy:
Avgolemono
(Greek Lemon Soup)
Enchilada Stuffed Shells
Italian Pie

4 comments:

  1. how good it looks! this is my ones sons all time favorite recipe...I make it for special occasions b/c it looks so pretty!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love broccoli soup. This looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just love Broccoli Soup and your recipe looks delicious, we would really enjoy it. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashley, cream of broccoli soup is just about one of my favourite soups. I have never made it myself but with this easy recipe I think I will be attempting to make it real soon. Thank you so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete