Thursday, February 2, 2012

Slow Cooker: Creamy Spaghetti

I have always wanted to try cooking pasta in a slow cooker. So far I have only made a few roasts and chili con carne, so I thought pasta would be something fun and different to try. All in all, this spaghetti has great flavor. The melted cheese is what really makes the dish for me. But to be honest, the pasta was a tad squishy for my taste. Cooking the pasta in the slow cooker for 4 hours made it very soft to the point of it almost falling apart. Not to say it was bad, but for my personal taste, I don't think I would cook the pasta entirely in the future. Leaving it a touch undercooked before putting it in the slow cooker I think would make it better in the end. But despite that, I loved the flavor of the sauce. I would recommend even making just the sauce without the mushroom soup/water combination and just put it on normally cooked pasta. There is something about olives and mushrooms in tomato sauce. Yummy!


Oh...I did have a little helper with this one. Toast loves tomato sauce.


1 c. finely chopped sweet onions
1 finely chopped green pepper
1 Tbsp. butter
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
4 oz. jar mushrooms (drain and chopped)
2.25 oz. can sliced olives
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 lb. ground beef
14 oz. spaghetti, cooked
1 can cream of mushroom soup
0.5 c. water
2 c. shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend)
0.25 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1. In a large sauce pan, saute peppers and onions in butter until soft, roughly 10 minutes.


2. In the meantime, in a medium pan, brown ground beef. Drain and set aside.



3. Once the onions and peppers are soft,  add olives, oregano, and mushrooms. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.


4. Add ground beef and mix.


5. Add crushed tomatoes and stir. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.


6. Pour sauce into slow cooker. (Crock pot liners are the most awesome thing ever!)


7. Add cooked spaghetti and mix.



8. Mix mushroom soup and water, then pour on to of spaghetti mixture.


9. Add both shredded cheese and Parmesan cheese.


10. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hour.


11. Stuff face!


Might also enjoy:
Slow Cooker
Roast
Slow Cooker
Chili con Carne
Chicken and Pasta with
Creamy Pesto Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment