Monday, April 23, 2012

Greek Chicken Pie

I was a little worried about what I was going to say before trying this recipe. Initially it was going to be something along the lines of, "Sounded good. Wanted to try it". But after trying this recipe...I now have more than enough to say. I have a new mortal enemy...and its name is phyllo dough. I had never even heard of the stuff till I read this recipe and I got excited to try something new. Then endless cooking bloopers ensued.


Okay, so phyllo dough isn't that bad, but I'm not going to lie, I was a little bitter that it didn't come out prettier looking. Here was my mistake...don't work with phyllo on a preheated oven. Apparently this stuff cooks insanely fast and when a portion of it just happens to be over the oven vent...weeellllll...I think you can guess what happened...


Ah yes...it was like construction paper. But despite my bloopers, this did make an excellent golden brown crust and tasted great with the chicken. And be prepared...this stuff makes an awesome crackily bubbly sound when it comes out of the oven. Like someone poured the milk right into the rice krispies box. I am sure phyllo dough and I will meet again, and hopefully next time I will prevail! HOORAH!

8 sheets of frozen phyllo dough (thaw an hour before using)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2-3 cloves garlic
1 rotisserie chicken or about 2-3 cups of cooked chicken
1 package (9-11 oz.) of frozen creamed spinach, defrosted
5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
4 oz. crumbled garlic/herb feta cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Shred chicken (I used a lemon pepper rotisserie chicken) and set aside.


 

3. Mince garlic cloves and set aside.


4. In a large bowl, mix chicken, lemon juice, garlic, creamed spinach and feta garlic/herb feta cheese.



5. Lightly coat a 8 by 11 inch pan with melted butter.


6. Place a single sheet down so roughly 6 inches hangs off the edge. Cover with butter.


7. Repeat on all sides. It's okay for the sheets to overlap.


8. Coat with butter and apply a second layer.


9. Spread mixture over the dough.


10. Gently fold the layers over the chicken mixture and brush with butter.



11. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the dough is golden brown.


12. Stuff face!!!!


Original Recipe

Might also enjoy:
Enchilada Stuffed Shells
Italian Pie
Chicken and Pasta with Creamy Pesto Sauce

1 comment:

  1. I found this recipe on Pinterest and it is AMAZING! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete