Sunday, April 1, 2012

Homemade Half Sour Pickles

I hate pickles. Despise them. Will destroy on sight. But when I went to Katz's Delicatessen in New York this past August, I was told I was not having the full experience unless I tried their half sour pickles. Fine. I contained my hatred and gave them a try. What the hell? They were good! Amazing actually. It was a pickle that didn't taste like a pickle! Crunchy, tasted like a cucumber but with a slight vinegar taste. This is my attempt to make these wonders of nature. And they turned out pretty good. The texture was the same with a nice crunch, but what surprised me was how much you could taste the onions and the garlic. Not too bad for how easy these are to make.

 


8 tsp. Kosher coarse salt 
6 cucumbers 
3-4 stalks celery 
1 med. onion, sliced 
2 lg. garlic cloves, crushed 
1 c. vinegar 
2 c. water
1. In a large glass jar mix salt, vinegar and water.


2. Slice stalks and onions and pack 1/2 of the slices along with celery, garlic and onion into the jar.




3. Clean cucumbers thoroughly then pack them in the jar.



4. Top with the remainder of the veggies (jar will be tightly packed).
5. Top off jar with water, tightly cover and refrigerate for 1 week before eating.


6. Stuff face


Original Recipe

Might also enjoy:
Cream of Broccoli Soup
Seared Asparagus
Collard Greens

No comments:

Post a Comment