Monday, July 16, 2012

Pesto Swirl Crust

This idea has been brewing in my head for a few months now. With the popularity of the cinnamon roll pie crust, I was trying to come up with more decorative pie crusts. I decided to do the same swirl pattern but with pesto and used this crust for a quiche. To my surprise, my first experiment was a success! The crust is fantastic! The pesto tastes amazing! I highly recommend giving this one a try.


For this recipe I got a chance to use fresh basil from my garden. My plant has been going crazy so it was time to give it a trim.



 Can't get much fresher than that.


~2 c. fresh basil
1/4 c. pine nuts, divided
1 garlic clove
salt
pepper
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 homemade pie crust

Pesto
1. In a small pan over medium heat, toast pine nuts until lightly brown. Set aside.



2. In a food processor, place the basil, toasted pine nuts, the garlic clove, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Pulse until everything is finely chopped.



3. While the food processor is running, slowly stream in the olive oil until you have a paste.


Assembly
4. Roll out pie crust.


5. Spread pesto gently over dough. Be careful not to stretch the dough too thin.



6. Roll up tightly and cut into thin slices (chill if needed).


7. Press miniature cinnamon rolls evenly into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch buttered glass pie plate.


8. Make sure there are no spaces between the rolls. Set aside (chill if needed).


9. Cut off the excess crust to give a straight edge.


10. Make something delicious and stuff face!!



Might also enjoy:
Apple Dumplings
Pesto Swirl Bread
Cinnamon Roll Pie Crust

No comments:

Post a Comment