Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises Cake

Friday can not come fast enough!!! I have been OBSESSING over this movie for well over a year now. How excited am I you ask? Well, I am flying into Seattle on Friday for a friends wedding. My plane lands at 12 am Friday morning...for those of you who are fans know this means I will miss the midnight showing on opening day. Sad. But not to worry. I have tickets for the 3 am showing. Yep. Straight from the airport to the nearest IMAX theater. I even have 6 am tickets in case my flight is delayed. Now I'm sure you're thinking, this girl is batshit crazy (see what I did there). I am totally okay with that.

Featured: Dark Knight News


I normally do not care for blogs with long winded stories at the beginning of each post and then spend no time on the recipe, but who are we kidding. This is Batman we're talking about here. So I am going to share some major points from my TDKR experience. Don't worry, no spoilers. First it began with getting to see an advanced screening of the Prologue (first six minutes of the movie) in IMAX for free in December. By following clues on various rogue Batman sites, they eventually lead to a list of select theaters around the world. The first few people that got through on the website got free tickets to the Prologue. I was one of them and super stoked. I was even more stoked when we got free tshirts upon our arrival. :D


(That's not me, but that is the tshirt I got). Then it got better. The Tumbler and the Batpod went on tour starting this past May. You guessed it. We drove all the way from Gainesville, Fl to Atlanta, GA to see them. It was fantastic. We got free posters, tshirts, stickers, and most importantly we got to see the Tumbler and the Batpod close up. So awesome!




And here we are. Less than 48 hours till the first showing. I bought my movie tickets over a month ago and can not wait. It only seemed fitting to celebrate its release with a TDKR cake. I found great fan art of a graffiti Bane logo on a Gotham City Sewer man hole cover and thought this would look great on a cake.


Usually for these highly decorative cakes, I use a store bought cake mix to keep it simply. I did make my own vanilla buttercream for a nice "glue" for the fondant. Please note I am by no means a cake artist. This is me pretending to be a female version of Duff Goldman...but with hair. Okay....a little more Batman and then on to the recipes. Here is the most recent trailer.


Vanilla Buttercream
3 c. powdered sugar
1 c. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 to 2 Tbsp. whipping cream

1. In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together the sugar and butter.
2. Add vanilla and cream and continue to mix on medium speed for about 1 minute more.


Making of the Cake
1. Cook a 9 x 13 inch sheet of yellow cake. (I used a store bought mix and followed the directions given).
2. Place on a large cookie sheet and let it cool completely. Place in fridge to chill slightly. (It doesn't have to be a cookie sheet. Just something stable to work on).


3. Frost entire cake. Make sure the frosting is smooth and as close to the shape of the cake as possible.


4. Roll out black fondant large enough so it will cover the entire cake.



5. Place gently on top of the cake and smooth out any bumps.


6. Cut off excess fondant on the sides. (Note, I do have a few cracks in my fondant because it was on the dry side. To avoid this, do not use too much flour when rolling the fondant out. But the cake is supposed to be a road surface, so I left it for added texture).


7. (This is where my pretty cake making skills went to hell and I improvised). Print out a stencil of desired design. Cut out portions if needed.


8. Trace designs of the man hole cover and stones into the fondant. Make sure not to pierce the fondant or frosting will leak through.


9. Fill in details of the of the manhole cover.




10. Once complete, using white frosting (store bought), "paint" in the letters and Bane's face. (Yes, I did this all by hand with a little help from the stencil. My E is a little off but, again, I am very pleased with it).




 11. Stuff face!! And watch more Batman!!


 Go Selina Kyle!!

Original Buttercream Recipe

Might also enjoy:
Cookies and Cream Cake
No Frosting Chocolate Cake
Strawberry Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment