I really like this crust recipe. It reminds me of a sturdy corn bread. It is soft but study enough to keep the pizza together. As for the toppings, I was making this up as I went so I approximated how much I used. But feel free to use however much you want.
1.75 c. flour
1/4 c. cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 package dry yeast
1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 Tbsp. water
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2-3 Tbsp. extra virgin oil oil
2 chopped garlic cloves
Ricotta Cheese Filling
15 oz. ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp. chopped basil
1 tsp. chopped oregano
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
sprinkle of salt
~2 - 3 c. tomato sauce
~1 c. pepperoni
~1 c. baby portobello mushroom, sliced
~1/2 c. green olives with pimentos, sliced
~1/2 c. black olives, sliced
1 tomato, sliced
~1 c. artichoke hearts
2 garlic cloves, sliced
sprinkle of Parmesan, shredded
sprinkle of shredded mixed cheese (Mexican blend)
1. Heat the water up to 100F to 110F degrees. Mix in yeast and let set for 5 minutes. You have activated the yeast if it starts to form bubbles in the water. If not, the water was either too cold or too warm. Simply try it again.
(After 5 minutes)
2. In the mean time, mix the dry ingredients.
3. Add the yeast mixture and olive oil. Mix until a ball of dough forms.
4. Place in a bowl and cover. Let rise for a few hours. (You can let it set over night in the fridge if you want. I made the dough in the morning and let it set till dinner time).
Ricotta Cheese Filling
5. Combine all ingredients and set aside.
6. Spread olive oil in cast iron pan so the dough will not stick.
7. Place dough in pan. Spread and pinch until the dough is a little below the top of the pan.
8. Let it set for about 5 minutes.
9. In the mean time, make the flavored oil. Combine olive oil and chopped garlic in a small pan over medium high heat.
10. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until garlic begins to brown.
11. Brush flavored oil over the dough.
12. It is time to add the toppings. This is the order I put the items in.
a. Tomato sauce.
b. Ricotta cheese mixture (about 2/3 of it).
d. Artichoke hearts.
e. Sliced garlic.
f. Black and green olives.
g. Sliced tomato.
h. Remainder of ricotta cheese.
i. Tomato sauce.
j. Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
l. Sprinkle of Mexican cheese blend.
13. Cook at 450 F for 25 to 30 minutes.
14. Remove from oven and put more shredded cheese on top.
15. Stuff face!
original crust recipe
Might also enjoy:
|Cream of Broccoli Soup|