Saturday, October 6, 2012

Kansas City Honey BBQ Sauce

What to do during a four hour layover in Fort Lauderdale? Sit at the bar, drink a beer, eat some pita and hummus and write this blog post about BBQ sauce!!


It has been an interesting 24 hours to say the least. I am flying out to visit my mama in Austin, TX and it has been nonstop craziness. First there was a multi-car pile up on I-10 last night causing traffic to come to a complete stop. It took an hour and a half to go 3 miles. Because of this, I missed my flight. Since Southwest Airlines is awesome, they put me on standby for today for no extra charge. So we drive all the way back home, make BBQ sauce, then leave again this morning at 6 am and head back to Jacksonville (no traffic this time). Then in the process of filling out my luggage tag at the airport, my pen broke and black ink went everywhere. *sigh* But Southwest saved the day again and they just so happened to have bottle of rubbing alcohol behind the desk. Hands no longer covered in black ink, I finally made it to Fort Lauderdale.

(It was a very relaxing flight!)

So here I sit, waiting to head to Austin. I am currently enjoying a nice cold beer and some pita and hummus. Not too bad considering.


Okay enough about me, back to the food. We have done Kansas City BBQ before, but we decided to try a different one specifically because this recipe has honey in it. We wanted a nice, subtle, spicy/sweet taste. The boys are smoking whole chickens for the Florida/LSU game at The Swamp today and a good BBQ sauce is a must.


And on a good note, this sauce is not only easy to make and tasty but low fat too! Yay!
 
1 1/3 c. tomato sauce
1/3 c. tomato paste
1/3 c. orange blossom honey
1/2 c. + 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/4 c. molasses
2 tsp. all natural hickory liquid smoke
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. chili powder

1. In a large pot combine all the ingredients.
2. Reduce by simmering over low heat for 25 minutes, stirring every now and then.
3. Let it cool.
4. Stuff face!


Original Recipe

Might also enjoy:
Pesto Swirl Bread
Salmon with
Browned Butter Sauce
Enchilada Stuffed Shells

No comments:

Post a Comment