2 Tbsp. olive oil
6 chicken legs and 6 chicken thighs
salt and pepper
2 small yellow onions, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 c. chicken stock
1 c. dried apricots, chopped
2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 c. honey roasted almonds, chopped
1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. (Optional: If you are not a fan of not so crispy chicken skin, you can remove the chicken skin before seasoning.)
2. Place 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large, deep skillet and heat to medium high. Sear the chicken on each side until browned.
3. Place the chicken into the slow cooker bowl.
4. Turn the heat down of the sauce pan to medium. Add the onion and carrots. Cook until onion browned, roughly 10 minutes.
5. Add the garlic and ginger, cook for another minute.
6. Add the coriander, cumin, cinnamon and cook for one more minute.
7. Add the chicken stock, apricots, and honey. Bring the liquid to a boil then pour over the chicken in the slow cooker.
8. Cook the chicken on low for 6 hours.
9. Once the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken.
10. Add the chickpeas, almonds and cilantro to the broth in the slow cooker and let the chickpeas come to temperature, about 10 minutes. (Optional: You do not have to remove the chicken, but it is so tender it will fall apart. If you don't mind the possibility of a random chicken bone, leave the chicken in the stock.)
11. Pour broth over the chicken in a bowl.
12. Stuff face! (Excellent with some good pita bread).
Might also enjoy:
|Cream of Broccoli Soup|
(Greek Lemon Soup)
|Slow Cooker: Chili Con Carne with Beans|