Saturday, January 5, 2013

Fancy Scrambled Eggs over Sourdough Toast

I came across this recipe a few months ago. Gordon Ramsen claims they are the perfect scrambled eggs. I finally tried them about two weeks ago and now I am obsessed. They are so delicious and it is all I want to eat. This is my new standard for scrambled eggs. :D

 

This recipe was a real learning experience for me. I came to realize I have been cooking eggs wrong all these years. I would season the eggs from the start and over cook them. Seasoning in the beginning causes the eggs to break down and become watery...who knew! Season at the end. My eggs would also be just a touch on the dry side, but I seriously thought that was how they were supposed to be. A confirmation they were fully cooked. Well these fancy scrambled eggs are nice and creamy, which can be slightly intimidating the first time because they looked like they are not cooked, but not to worry. You will get the feel for it.


I also used creme fraiche for the first time. I had no idea what it was. French style cultured cream...okay what the hell does that mean? It's like sour cream without the sour. Very yummy stuff. This gives the eggs a great texture. For the bread, make sure to choose a harder type. The eggs are creamy and you do not want soggy bread. I have used sourdough and a rosemary bread in the past. Both are delicious.


This is Gordon Ramsey showing how to make the perfect scrambled eggs. I want to try adding the roasted tomatoes and mushrooms in the near future. 

4 eggs
1.5 Tbsp. butter
~1 Tbsp. creme fraiche
1 Tbsp. chives, chopped
sprinkle of salt and pepper
2 slices of sourdough, lightly toasted

1. Place eggs and butter into a small pot. Place over medium heat. Gently stir the eggs and don't stop stirring.


2. The eggs will begin to cook quickly. Once you start seeing large amounts of egg coming from the bottom of the pot, remove from heat. Keep stirring. Removing from the heat is going to help prevent the eggs from over cooking. Once it slows down, return to heat. (I listen for a little sizzle sound when I stir. Once I hear that I remove it from the heat. When it stops, return to heat).


3. Continue to remove and return to heat until the eggs are cooked. Don't stop stirring. The eggs will be moist, but there should be no liquid in the pot.

(half way done...)

(fully cooked)

4. Remove from heat and stir creme fraiche. This will stop the eggs from cooking.


5. Add salt, pepper, and chives.


6. Pour over toasted sourdough.


7. Stuff face!!


Might also enjoy:
Creamy Grits
Pumpkin Honey Cornbread
Pancake Eggs Benedict

No comments:

Post a Comment