Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Pan Seared Chili Cheese Dogs

I am so proud. My first chili. And it didn't suck. :D

I am a sucker for a good chili cheese dog. I decided to try to make my own for Superbowl. I have never made chili before, but I was intrigued by this recipe because of the large amount of veggies. Minus the semi-tedious prep, this chili was awesome. I am also a spice whimp, so I did not add any heat to the chili. If you want you can add a few tablespoons of cayenne pepper or your favorite hot sauce.

The original chili recipe recommends cooking the it a minimum of two hours the day before serving. Allowing it to sit over night will enhance the flavors. I let it simmer for 4 hours the night before, and then let it set on medium-low heat for 12 hours on Sunday and it was delicious. I also cut the veggies and steak into very small pieces. I personally like chunky chili, but not with chunks that take up your whole spoon.



For the hot dogs, my mom and I have been pan searing hot dogs ever since I can remember. I never cared for the flavor of microwaved hot dogs. It is a great way for quick and easy snack with a lot of flavor.

Hot-Dog Chili:
2 pounds ground beef chuck
1 pound steak (I used ones cut small for stew)
3 (15 oz.) cans seasoned pinto beans, drained
1 (15 oz.) can chili beans in mild spicy sauce
2 (28 oz.) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 red chile peppers, seeded and chopped
4 cubes beef bouillon
1/2 c. beer
1/4 c. chili powder
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. white sugar

Hot Dogs:
hot dogs
hot dog buns
shredded cheddar cheese

Chili:
1. Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and steak into the pot, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.


2. Add pinto beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. 
3. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bouillon, and beer (I used Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye). 
4. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, basil, salt, pepper, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.


5. After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. 

 
(After it had set over night and cooked for 12 hours the next day).

Hot Dogs:
6.  Slice hot dogs in half, but don't cut all the way through. 
7. Pull hot dogs apart and place in a pan over medium heat. Let sit until it is golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.


8. Flip hot dogs over and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. 


9. Place hot dog in toasted bun, top with chili and shredded cheese. 
10. Stuff face!


Original Chili Recipe

Might also enjoy:
Roasted Parmesan Potatoes
Italian Pie
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

No comments:

Post a Comment