My previous post was a vertical roasted chicken. We had left over meat, fat, bones and veggies. We just hated to throw it away so we decided to put it to good use. Chicken stock! Stores 3 to 4 days in the fridge or up to 6 months in the freezer.
Do not leave the stock at room temp for too long. Store immediately in the fridge/freezer. The grease will rise to the top and create a protective fat layer on the top of the stock. Leave it until ready to use. The fat layer can be scraped off and stored for cooking later.
left over chicken bones, bits and pieces
1 onion, quartered
1 - 2 c. baby carrots
2 celery stocks, chopped
1. In a large pot, place the left over chicken bones, meat, fat, pits and pieces. If you have left over juices in your roasting pan, throw those in there too. Remember, it is all flavor.
2. Fill with water until the chicken is completely covered.
3. Throw in onion, carrots, and celery.
4. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 3 to 4 hours. Add more water if needed to cover the chicken.
5. Skim off excess fat as it cooks.
6. Remove bones and pour liquid through a sifter to remove veggies and extra pieces.
7. Let cool for a few minutes and store immediately in container in the fridge/freezer.
8. Use in something delicious and stuff face!
Might also enjoy:
|Bourbon Bacon Brownies|
|Swirl Pesto Bread|