A few words on the spiciness... I am a total spice wimp. For this recipe I only used one habanero with the seeds and the connective tissue on the inside removed. The sauce does have a lot of sugar in it so that helped remove a lot of the spice. So much so I would not consider this to be a spicy dish. It would warm up your mouth just a little, but not in a spicy way. I would have a little tingle after a few bites. So if you want to up the spice, I would recommend 2...maybe even 3 peppers. And don't forget to wear gloves when cutting the peppers!!
Mango Habanero Ribs:
1 rack of spare ribs
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp. ground dry mustard
1.5 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. cracked pepper
Mango Habanero Sauce:
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 tsp. grated ginger
1.5 c. mango, chopped
1 c. crushed tomatoes
3/4 c. mango nectar
2/3 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. molasses
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire
1 lime, juiced
1 or 2 habanero chiles, seeded and diced
sprinkle of salt and pepper
1. If it hasn't been done already, remove the connective tissue on the back of the ribs.
2. Combine all of the dry rub ingredients together.
3. Place the ribs in foil and smother with dry rub making sure to cover every bit of the ribs.
4. Wrap tightly in foil and let marinate in the fridge for 12 hours.
5. Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat.
6. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes.
7. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
8. Reduce heat to medium-lows cover, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
9. Let sauce cool for about 10 minutes.
10. Pour into blender and blend until smooth. Set aside (or refrigerate until ready for use - i did it the night before when I made the rub).
11. Preheat oven to 300F.
12. Place ribs on baking sheet, meat side down, and cook for 3 hrs.
13. Remove ribs from oven and flip so the meaty side is up. Brush with the glaze.
14. Place under broiler for 3 minutes until the sugars start to caramelize.
16. Slice ribs, drizzle with sauce, and stuff face!!
Original Recipe: Spoon Fork Bacon
Might also enjoy:
|Beer Boiled Brats|
|Prosciutto wrapped Scallops|
|Bourbon Bacon Brownies|