Monday, September 26, 2016

Smoked Salmon

When I was about 6 or 7 years old I had smoked salmon for the first time. My mom bought a large fillet and let me try a piece. She said it was for dinner and had to wait if I wanted more. For the remainder of the night I kept sneaking bites. Come dinner time, my mom discovered I had eaten $40 dollars of smoked salmon and we had no dinner. Needless to say, she was not pleased but from then on would buy me my own personal fillet for a special treat. I guess it is about time I made it on my own. :D


This is my first attempt at smoked salmon. I read several recipes and picked my favorite methods and threw some of my own in. I am very please with how it turned out. My one tip would be to make sure you allow enough time to do it correctly. The salmon needs to sit out and dry for a few hours, so I would reserve this recipe for a lazy Saturday.

As for the herbs I used in the rub, I just pulled from whatever was in my garden which ended up being rosemary and lemon thyme. You can use any herbs you want or even throw on a little lemon zest.

Smoked Salmon:
1 salmon fillet, de-boned

Brine:
6 c. water
3 c. of cold water
4 Tbsp. salt

Rub:
sprinkle of salt
sprinkle of pepper
lemon thyme, chopped
rosemary, chopped

Morning of smoke:
1. In a large pot, combine 6 cups of water and 4 Tbsp. salt. Over medium heat, stir until the salt is completely dissolved.
2. Remove from heat immediately and let cool.


3. In a large container pour in brine with 3 more cups of cold water and set aside.
4. For the salmon fillet, remove any bones (if there are any). Give is quick rinse and pat dry.


5. Place the salmon in the brine (skin down) and let set for 30 minutes.


6. Remove the salmon from the brine and rinse to remove any excess salt. Pat very dry.
7. Place the salmon on a wire rack in a cool, dry place to dry for 3 to 5 hours. The salmon will get a nice shine to it (you want a pellicle or skin to form).


1 hour before smoking:
8. Prep your smoker so to have a constant temperature in the low 200F range.

Smoking time!
9. Chop up herbs.
10. Sprinkle the fillet with salt, pepper, and herbs.
11. Place the fillet on a sheet of lightly oil foil in the smoker. Smoke for 1 hour. The internal temperature should be between 130F and 140F.


12. Stuff face!!!


Might also enjoy:
Rock Fish and Spinach Gratin
Salmon with
Browned Butter Sauce
Yellowtail Tuna
with Mushroom Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment