Monday, November 14, 2016

Whopper Cake

A few years back I made a chocolate insanity cake...this year I decided to do again for my friend Jess' birthday. You can never have too much chocolate. 😀




I had a little bit of fun with the cake. I had it all planned out with complete shopping list.


All went to plan until I started baking the cake. I used an older chocolate cake recipe that uses devils food cake mix. One box of cake mix will make two pans of cake, but I misread it and thought it was ONE pan. I didn't catch my mistake until I was asking my husband to fan the smoke detector while I open the oven to quickly remove the over flowing cake pans.


I ended up making a huge mess and scooping out half of the batter from each pan. I had to clean the batter out of the hot oven to stop the smoke. But once I got all of that sorted out, everything went smoothly.

And for clarification, the recipe below is the corrected recipe so you will not have the same problem I had. It will make two 9 inch round and one 5 inch round. You will have a little extra batter left over.

Chocolate Cake:
2 box (18.25 oz.) devils food cake mix
3 box (5.9 oz.) instant chocolate pudding mix
2 c. sour cream
3 c. vegetable oil
8 eggs
1 c. warm water
4 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Chocolate Frosting:
5 1/2 c. powdered sugar
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 c. butter
10 Tbsp. evaporated milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract

6 5 oz. boxes of Whoppers

Chocolate Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Dust cake pans with butter and flour.


2. For the cake, in a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, eggs and water. Stir in the chocolate chips. Fill each pan roughly half full.

(oh my goodness...how did I not notice how full these were. The calm before the storm)

3. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until top is springy to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean.

(after the chaos...not too bad)


4. Cool cake thoroughly in pan at least an hour and a half.

Chocolate Frosting:
1. In a medium bowl, sift together flour and cocoa powder. Set aside.


2. In a large bowl, cream the butter.


3. Beat together alternating between the sugar and the evaporated milk. Add vanilla.


Assembly:
1. Cut the tops off of the large cakes.


2. Invert one cake onto a plate.


3. Frost just the top.


4. Place the second layer on top.
5. Frost the top and place the final small cake on top.
6. Frost the remainder of the cake. Make sure the frosting is somewhat thick.


7. Starting from the bottom, start placing the Whoppers, gently pressing them into the frosting.


8. Continue adding Whoppers.


9. ......and more Whoppers.


10. Stuff face!


Original Frosting Recipe: Allrecipes.com

Might also enjoy:
Cinnamon Roll
Pie Crust
Sweet Potato Puree
Pumpkin Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment